Thursday, January 17, 2013

Snow Day! (Almost)

Well, halfway. There is no snow to be seen as of yet. We had an early release at 1 o'clock, yippie! Now I'm getting all cozy and building a fire before settling down to pay it forward in a way....
"Pay it forward?" you may ask. Yes, pay it forward. The internet has provided me with so much inspiration on my newest school project this year, math journaling, that I thought I would share what I have done to maybe help someone else out.  Last year we used power points and cloze notes which was all fine and dandy but just didn't feel like me. Some people said I was crazy when I mentioned journaling and sometimes with the cutting and pasting it can seem a bit crazy but after a few go arounds and getting organized it has defiantly paid off. My students enjoy journaling because they have a book that they have created. I also find that they actually use it as a reference where as before the notes ended up in the trash or lost in their binder. If they are smart they will take it to 6th grade with them; I won't hold my breath on that one though. So, here is everything I have done so far. Feel free to use anything you like :-)
I have 2 journals. One for my homeroom one for my second period. Some people have one that they plan their journal out in. I tried that and decided that it's just too much work. I like letting it flow and adding what is needed as we go. Plus in my mind if you are typing out pages you already have a guideline for how everything is going to play out. 

 My title page. One the first day of school we set up our notebooks. Each student was able to decorate their own title page however they wished; it just had to include their name. We then set up our table of contents, there are 2 pages front and back of this, and finally the math journal contract. I found this online and apologize to the person who I owe credit to because I have lost the link.

Place Value- Sometimes things were fill in the blank and we filled them in together. 
 I am flipbook obsessed and love making them for some odd reason. Luckily my kiddos love them too.

 Decimals



 We paused decimals to hit on multiplication for a bit that way we could continue with the multiplication of decimals. I am thankful to have a great teammate who comes up with journaling pages too.
 Notice the lattice multiplication at the bottom. Oh my gee, I LOVE LATTICE MULTIPLICATION! If you have not used it before you need to seriously check it out. It makes life so much easier.
 Distributive Property
 Word Problems




 Ordered Pairs
 Graphing
 Stem and Leaf
 Mean Median Mode and Range

 For this page I handed out different objects to different groups IE frogs, coins, beans, etc. Then we found the mean, median, mode or range for each so that they would have a worked out example.
 Circles




 This one didn't turn out quite like I had plan because I got lazy. Originally I planned to use a brad and two pieces of laminated paper on the top half of the page to create a space where they could make the different types of angles. I took too long debating whether or not the brads were going to pull through or mess up the rest of the pages. Instead we just drew pictures of each of the types of angles and left it at that.

 Triangles
 Isosceles is my favorite, my little ice cream cone


 Variables

 Order of Operations
And that leaves us off to where we are now, order of operations land whose page came off of pinterest land somewhere. If I can figure out how to add downloadable worksheets so that you could print them off. If anyone could explain this to me that would be grand! My students math journals are a lot more colorful. They have time to color and add drawings while I am often running around helping my students who need help cutting or writing. 


This is how I store all of my things for journaling. During the back to school sales I picked up these pencil cases for 10 cent each. Inside of each there are scissors, colored pencils, crayons and a glue stick; everything they could possibly need for journaling. Each box is numbered for a reason. Originally they were unnumbered and each period would just grab a box. This ended in disaster and boxes being super messy and missing materials on a daily basis. Nothing is more annoying than someone complaining of a messy box or missing material when they were just as guilty of creating a mess themselves. Now boxes are numbered so they grab their according box (each student has a number based on their place in the alphabet). This makes them responsible for the box. If the next period finds a messy box it is easy to pinpoint who it was and their task is to then come in at the end of the day and straighten up all of the boxes to make sure they have all of the needed supplies. No one wants to do this so it has yet to be a problem. 


Last but not least is my RI creation. I decided to make a "math quilt" type of assignment. Students have an assignment list that goes with the quilt page. They have 5 weeks during RI time to complete the assignments. As each assignment is completed they color in the corresponding number on the quilt page. I am hoping this cuts down on the "Ms. Jenkins, what do I do nowwwww?!?!?!" questions that seem to happen every day during this time even though there is a list on the board. When I am working in small group it makes it very hard to re-direct someone and keep my groups attention. You all know how it goes, or perhaps I'm the only one with that problem! There are 23 assignments that are all kept in a crate (pictured below) and numbered as to what assignment it is. Smaller tiles blocks equal smaller assignments and larger blocks equal larger more difficult assignments. I anticipate this to last 5 weeks or so (hopefully) which is great because that means I do not have to plan for RI for the next 5 weeks! Go me! The other big bonus to this is that I used leftover worksheets from this year and last year so that I did not have to create anything new. 


14 comments:

  1. Seriously this is SO smart!!! I would've totally learned math if someone had taken this time in my classroom! Sending my kids to WV for you to teach them

    ReplyDelete
  2. This math journal is AMAZING!! You have given me so much hope for my math teaching this year!! Can I write about your site on my blog? I am just trying to get my blog going but it is a slow process! :) Thanks! Stacey Taylor http://gourmetteacher.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the compliments! My students really enjoyed math journaling. You are welcome to write about the post on your blog. I will try to update soon with what we put in the journal at the end of the year.

    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I found on Pinterest the same contract that you used. I'm not sure who the author is but this is the website. It is just a Google Doc that you can print.

      https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-JfsAf6KS8GMTQ1ajFia3JTOHlRcWhnUnpmclhWdw/edit?pli=1

      Thought this would be helpful to other viewers! :) Stacey

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much! I thought I had pinned it but I didn't.

      Delete
  4. This is really cool (and I LOVE your engagement ring!) but was there any opportunity to write math stuff? Like actual stories or experiences?

    I'm working to put some stuff together on helping kids (and grownups) write about math, not just about how they solved a problem or facts about math.

    Have you seen anything on this? Or do you have stuff?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, just remembered something else. Students also wrote in journal entries after activities. For example we did an activity called mean, median, mode and range Olympics where the students performed different physical activities (jump rope for a minute, jumping jacks etc) then found the MMMR with their "team". Afterwards they journaled about the activity and had to make connections of where else they might, or someone else might, use MMMR. We did several journaling activities like this. It was great because it had them writing and thinking about real world connections.

      Delete
  5. Bon, I wish I had my students journals. They often reflected on how the math concept could be applied in real life situations and wrote in their own tips and tricks. Some students were very detailed in their applications, others wrote a sentence or two. Sometimes they even drew pictures to go with their journaling. Since last year was my first year doing the math journaling it was pretty free flowing and it worked well that way. I am at a new school this year and in a new state so we will see how the journaling progresses. I plan to follow through with allowing students to write about each concept as we go. This time hopefully I will get it documented a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad I found this at the beginning of the school year, so I can start the year with math journaling! Do you happen to have any of the templates for the foldables (such as the place value foldable)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am terribly sorry that it has taken me forever to respond. The beginning of the school year has been a bit crazy! I used word to create the templates for my foldables. I am going to look into a website that someone shared with me to post the documents. Hopefully they will be up sometime this week!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for giving us a peek into your journal. This is our first year using a math journal, and I'm very curious about what others are putting in theirs. I use a free account at Box.com to post printables on my blog. Btw, I have a free stem & leaf plot printable your students might enjoy. You can find it at http://simplythegoodlife.blogspot.com/2013/05/april-showers-bring.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would you mind sharing a the variables document? It's great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meredith, I am trying box.com as Karissa suggested. Here is the link it gives me. Let me know if it doesn't work and I will try something else. :-)
      https://app.box.com/s/46en327cvvf5nr0wm1hr

      Delete
  9. Are you willing to share any of the files that you used in your journal? I really love what you've done and I'd love to use some of them with my students. katie.sarzynski@cfisd.net

    ReplyDelete

Leave Some Love