Thursday, January 24, 2013

A REAL Snow Day

2 in fact! These qualify as the first real snow days I have ever had as a teacher.

What do teachers do on their day off?

Well, what a splendid question. We lounge around in bed all day and eat bonbons of course! FALSE! Perhaps some get to, in fact I hope they do. I woke up at the normal 5:30 and was about to get in the shower when I just had this little tickle of an idea to look out the window before I hopped in the shower. No, no, no, I told myself... I would have gotten a phone call and it would just be a waste of time and a let down. Luckily the child in me just had to peek anyway and low and behold BAM *insert glittery white beautiful snow seen through the eyes of a babe*. It's sad when you check social media for school closures before you check news stations. WAY FASTER. I must admit it was a bit of a roller coaster ride. First udder jubilation at the thought of climbing back in my warm bed then all of the fun fizzled out when I realized our next make up day would use up our ONLY teacher work day in February. Call me crazy but work days like that save my sanity and give me a day to clean my classroom. Oh well, extra ZZZzzzZZZ's sounded okay however, there were none to be found. Emma was determined that I was supposed to be up. I even went as far as to shut her out but then she proceeded to meow persistently until I let her back in. Once back in she and D.C. decided that it was playtime and romped and played for the half an hour I attempted to sleep. Finally I gave up and decided to take a shower and get on with the day. When I came back in this is what I found...
Go figure...Oh well. Anywho. I did managed to get several school things done and Pinterest some school and wedding ideas. While on Pinterest I found a wonderful recipe for Skinny Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones. I must say they were pretty amazing and super easy to make. They were barely out of the oven 5 minutes before they were devoured. I must admit I had two myself.

Ingredients:
3/4 c cold buttermilk (if you don't have buttermilk search online, I have read that you can add vinegar to milk to make buttermilk)
1/4 c sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
1 c all purpose flour
1 c white whole wheat flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp chilled butter cut into small pieces
3/4 c chocolate chips
1 egg white lightly beaten
sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix together the first 4 ingredients and set to the side. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Using a pastry blender cut in chilled butter until the mixture is coarsely mixed together. Fold in chocolate chips. Slowly add in milk mixture stirring just until moist. Knead lightly four times with floured hands.

On greased or parchment lined cookie sheet form dough into a nine inch circle, about 3/4 inch thick. Using a knife or pizza cutter cut dough into twelve wedges all the way through. Brush with egg white and sprinkle evenly with sugar. Bake 18-20 minutes until golden brown. Best served right out of the oven with a cup of coffee or tea


If you're looking for the link click the following: Skinny Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones


Also made some homemade granola. That's a recipe still being tweaked.  Anyone have a recipe for granola that you love?

I managed to be a big girl an get my car inspected on my very own today. Go me! Tomorrow I plan to head to Maryland to shop for the last two bridesmaid dresses and for Grant to look at tuxes. I am so happy to be getting things done!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Some Love