Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Going Paperless

Well, paper towel free. It's been in my head for a while thanks to Pinterest. I never brought it up in conversation before with Grant because I was sure he would laugh but surprisingly at dinner he willingly agreed and his only real comment was to be prepared for extra laundry. Really, in my head at least, I already do laundry every other day (yes, every other day for the two of us, crazy I know) so how can a few napkins really add that much. Overall it will save money and the environment. Once I started thinking about using cloth it just seemed silly to buy paper towels. You're literally buying something just to throw it away.

I've already given a few things some thought since I use paper towels for EVERYTHING.

Household Cleaning: right now I use paper towels for every aspect of cleaning. Some people do sponges but that majorly grosses me out. Seriously, rinsing them out does not kill bacteria. My plan is to either 1, buy some cheap-o dish rags from tjmaxx or the dollar store or 2 just cut up some of Grants yucky old white shirts. Either way I want something to be designated just for cleaning.

Kitchen: I've already made the switch to wash cloths over sponges. To me there is just something gross about using the same sponge for everything everyday. Plus let's face it, they stink... literally. Washcloths could turn into the same deal except I came up with a 1 day system. A washcloth only gets used for a day then you get a new one. The old one gets hung outside, or if it's rainy in the laundry, to dry then they get thrown in the wash with the regular towels. I've yet to have a stinky washcloth. If so a bit of vinegar added to the wash should clear it right up. My only concern is what happens when you need to drain something like bacon. I suppose that's where old newspapers become handy. I need to think a little more about that.

In my head I think that this switch, while minor, will help with the prep of cloth diapering someday. Call me crazy but that's my ultimate goal when it's time for kiddos.

Now it's time to get back to pinning... I mean research.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Some Love